Our light romance bridged the gap between Mardi Gras and real life with surprising success. We were very different people, and yet we understood each other. We'd both had to grow up hard and fast, and if our reactions to this hot-housed awareness of the fragility of life were very different - he chose to live for today, I to control tomorrow - we had a shared knowledge of the chaos that lay beneath. We both loved jazz and blues, Gregory Peck and baroque architecture. He adored peacefully walking in the mountains almost as much as I loved the challenge of climbing them; we both relished the thrills of white-water rafting, kayaking and canoeing. Admittedly I missed the bright lights of London, but in those early days we were truly happiest when we were far from the madding crowd, holed up in a cabin somewhere with just the odd harmless black bear for company.
Of course I loved him; it was impossible not to. He gave freely and asked nothing of me. He was always there for me, my confidant and companion, my dearest friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment